Judge Eghart House

By , April 13, 2010 2:04 pm

Judge Eghart House: A Victorian Restoration

302 W Grand Avenue
Port Washington, WI 53074
Located next to the library

History

Originally, the property was owned by Byron and Clara Teed, who built the house in 1872. Judge Leopold Eghart bought the house and property in 1881 moving his family from Cedarburg to Port Washington. Together with his wife Anna, they raised six children. He had been elected County Judge in 1878 and served until his death in 1901.

Mrs. Eghart was known for her lilacs which she often sold in Milwaukee. Several lilac bushes still bloom on the property in spring. The Eghart children hosted many parties here in the warmer months. The house stayed in the Eghart Family until the late 1960’s when Elsa Eghart died.

The city had plans to raze the property and use it for parking, until a group of women asked the city to preserve it as a link to the city’s past. With fundraising and volunteer help, this little house next to the W.J. Niederkorn Library has been restored and furnished as an authentic example of early Victorian architecture representing the transition period between classic and ornate Victorian. The furnishings are from both the Teed and Eghart Families. Other local families have contributed furnishings from the 1850 to 1900 period also.

The Judge Eghart House is a Victorian Restoration maintained by the W.J. Niederkorn Museum and Art Center and has membership in the Ozaukee County Tourism Council

Hours

Open for tours Sunday 1 pm – 4 pm Memorial Day through Labor Day

2014 Additional Information

House Tours Begin: Sunday, May 25 1-4 p.m.
Open Saturdays: Niederkorn Book Fair August 2, 10 – 2 p.m. and Judge Eghart Open House, Saturday, September 27 1 – 3 p.m.

For more information

Please email judy539@att.net or send mail to:
W. J. Niederkorn Museum and Art Center
P. O. Box 87
Port Washington, WI 53074

Comments are closed

Panorama Theme by Themocracy